XFree86 (xterm) broken?

Chris racerx at makeworld.com
Sat Sep 4 13:58:30 PDT 2004

Randy Pratt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It seems the xterm has changed lately (Aug 24)?  It seems to be linked
> to a static version:
>
> lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  27 Aug 24 13:41 /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm at ->
>      /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm-static
>
> The "mesg" function no longer works and produces errors:
> 	$ mesg y
> 	mesg: /dev/ttyp6: Operation not permitted
>
> This prevents the unix talk requests from displaying on the xterm
> so I have to switch to console mode to find out who is calling
> (or do a "vidcontrol -P < /dev/ttyv0").
>
> I thought I had broken something until it was confirmed by other
> users I contacted today.  I was also a bit surprised to see that
> its now a port of its own.  I'd like to see the old behavior
> restored if possible.  Or have I totally missed the boat somewhere
> along the line?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Randy

Speaking of terms - I went to KDE 3.3 - my aterm used to do
transparencies - now however, I just get a grey background.

To look into this deeper, I installed rxvt. It too does the same thing.
Has something changed in KDE to prevent the above from working right?

--
Best regards,
Chris

(1)	The telephone will ring when you are outside the
	door, fumbling for your keys.

(2)	You will reach it just in time to hear the click
	of the caller hanging up.