Bus Error in protsdb.rb updating INDEX.db

Michael Edenfield kutulu at kutulu.org
Fri Sep 3 14:52:25 PDT 2004

I've been working on the INDEX.db building problem people seem to be
having, and have at least managed to track down the problem.  It's this
line in the INDEX-5 file (wrapping ahead):

Origin:8465:databases/py-bsddb3
Port Info:8465:py23-bsddb3-4.2.4|/usr/ports/databases/py-bsddb3|/usr/local|Python extension module for BerkeleyDB 3 and 4|/usr/ports/databases/py-bsddb3/pkg-descr|perky at FreeBSD.org|databases python|db41-4.1.25_2 python-2.3.4_2|db41-4.1.25_2 python-2.3.4_2|http://pybsddb.sourceforge.net/

I haven't figured out why this line break, but trying to do:

origin = port_info.origin
@db[origin] = port_info

is what's causing the bus error.  Coincidentally, I can print origin and
portinfo, as you can see above, but can't assign to it.  If I have ruby
skip that line in the index file, it keeps right on going and finishes
with no problems.

I'm going to keep working on this, but perhaps a more experienced ruby
guru can see what's wrong here...