WANTED: Anjuta users [LONG]

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at FreeBSD.org
Wed Sep 1 22:05:48 PDT 2004

I'm looking for anjuta users that would be willing to test some
patches.  These patches attempt to fix the problem with building anjuta
projects.

So what's the problem?  As any FreeBSD anjuta user will tell you,
building packages doesn't work due to our lack of ``raw'' GNU autotools
(i.e. autoconf, automake, and libtool).  We use special, numbered,
versions of these tools; but in order to create proper cross-platform
software distributions, anjuta's build scripts reply on the more common,
unnumbered (and unpatched) autotools.

What's the fix?  Well, admittedly, what I've come up with is a pretty
big hack.  I've basically created ports for autoconf, automake, and
libtool that are unpatched, and install into
${LOCALBASE}/gnu-autotools.  I've then created a wrapper script around
anjuta that adjusts the PATH and ACLOCAL_FLAGS accordingly to use the
autotools in the above PREFIX.  Why is this a hack?  Well, these ``raw''
versions of the tools will not work when building FreeBSD ports.  So, if
you ever adjust your shell PATH to point to
${LOCALBASE}/gnu-autotools/bin, and try to build a port that relies on
one of the autotools, very bad things could happen.  Also, this
gnu-autotools PREFIX is just messy.  That said, I could think of no
better way to do this such that the result would give developers
software distributions that could be shared across multiple platforms.
If you have a better suggestion, please let me know.

What do I have to do to test this?  First, download
http://www.marcuscom.com/downloads/anjuta-fix.tar.bz2, and extract this
(tar -xvjf anjuta-fix.tar.bz2).  Within the anjuta-fix directory, are
four files.  The first, anjuta.diff, is a patch to the devel/anjuta
port.  To apply that, do the following:

# cd /usr/ports/devel
# patch -p < /path/to/anjuta.diff

The other three files are shell archives of the new gnu-autotools
ports.  Extract each of those ports using sh:

# sh gnu-autoconf.sh
# sh gnu-automake.sh
# sh gnu-libtool.sh

Install each of those ports manually, or copy each directory to
/usr/ports/devel.

Finally, do:

# portupgrade anjuta

Then give it a shot.  As an anjuta user, you should know what to do from
here.  Let me know how it goes.  Thanks.

Joe

--
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeNode / #freebsd-gnome