Errata: incorrect Perl Version - BindShell False Positives FBSD-4.10.p3

hutchens david.hutchens at drs-sss.com
Fri Oct 29 06:24:49 PDT 2004

Many apologies, reported wrong Perl version.  Should've been v. 5.8.5 not
5.8.4

>Good Morning;

>Running Chkrootkit 0.44 - FreeBSD 4.10-p3 Perl-5.8.4

>Dual p3-650	512MB ECC RAM

>Chkrootkit reporting Bindshell Infection on port 145.

>netstat -an indicates no connections using that port but is showing the
value 145 in the Recv-Q

>Proto Recv-Q Send-Q  Local Address          Foreign Address        (state)

>tcp4       0      0  *.10082                *.*                    LISTEN
>udp4       0      0  127.0.0.1.4611         127.0.0.1.123
>udp4     145      0  *.1368                 *.*
>udp4       0      0  127.0.0.1.53           *.*

>I've obs this twice so far for the 145 value.  I've also had Bindshell
reports on port 114 and believe those to have been inaccurate
>as well (unable to detect any problems with other tools automatically
launched upon the chkrootkit report - rkhunter/lsof and manual/scheduled
>scans with Kaspersky & Clam AV).

>At the time I was getting reports ref port 114 I had not looked at the
Chkrootkit Code & therefore did not set a trigger to run netstat -an upon a
Chkrootkit alert as >I have with port 145.

>If there is any other info I can provide please let me know, thanks for
your hard work

Sincerely;

David Hutchens III
Network Technician
DRS Surveillance Support Systems - A division of DRS Technologies.
(727) 541-6681 ext.3313
david.hutchens at drs-sss.com <mailto:david.hutchens at drs-sss.com>