RELEASE_X_Y_Z branches/tags maintained??

Roman Kennke roman at ontographics.com
Mon Oct 25 11:54:13 PDT 2004

Am Mo, den 25.10.2004 schrieb Gary Kline um 20:47:
> On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 07:48:55PM +0200, Roman Kennke wrote:
> > Am Mo, den 25.10.2004 schrieb Gary Kline um 19:34:
>
> 	[[ ... ]]
>

> > yeah I know, I have created a _few_ ports myself.
> >
> > > 	Once you've done a few ports--either your own hacking
> > > 	or someone else's--creating a port gets pretty easy.
> > > 	Takes a few hours/port/architecture.  Before aiming for
> > > 	a separate project, it may pay to work within the ports
> > > 	group for awhile.
> >
> > I'm just thinking over some ideas. Another idea is to go with NetBSDs
> > pkgsrc instead, they also support FreeBSD and have a stable branch
> > (although this needs some work to be maintained). The wheel hasn't to be
> > reinvented X times ;-)
> >

> 	What would it take to port over NetBSD's pkgsrc system?

Actually the pkgsrc system supports FreeBSD.

> 	Does it allow for automagic install of packages with
> 	dependencies?  (For humongous ports like OO or Gnome or KDE... .)

yes. The pkgsrc system was originally a port from FreeBSDs ports system
to NetBSD, as such it works very similar to it. Including automatically
installing dependencies. It has some tradeoffs with automatic upgrading
(no portupgrade tool yet).

> 	If you can find a site, go for it.  Don't need to
> 	have everything in the tree, obviously.
>
> 	It might pay to write up some ideas in detail; then you'll
> 	have a better idea of which will work.  Just a thought.
> 	...EVen if your "bsdports.org" is the best idea of the century
> 	it's still going to take volunteers--that's what bites.
> 	(*sigh*)

yeah. This is why I am collecting other ideas first.

/Roman