RELEASE_X_Y_Z branches/tags maintained??

Roman Kennke roman at ontographics.com
Mon Oct 25 02:45:26 PDT 2004

Am Mo, den 25.10.2004 schrieb Christopher Vance um 10:37:

> You have a choice between
>
> (1) a system with fewer packages/ports, but each one related to
> several supported OS versions,
>
> or
>
> (2) a system with more packages/ports, but they're not tied to any OS version.
>
> If you want something like (1) on FreeBSD, you can always capture the
> ports tree as it was when your OS version was released (it's even
> tagged for you) and update only those parts you care about.  You get
> to follow any advisories yourself (try portaudit).  But if it breaks,
> you get to fix all the pieces yourself.

Maybe, if there is _enough_ interest, somebody (starting with me??)
could start a separate (from FreeBSD) project, that aims to maintain a
stable FreeBSD ports tree. It could start out with a subset of ports,
architectures and OS versions for the beginning, and scale when
resources are available. It could occasionally grab a tagged ports tree
and develop a stable version out of it.

What do you think?

/Roman