RELEASE_X_Y_Z branches/tags maintained??

Matthias Andree ma at dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de
Mon Oct 25 01:09:57 PDT 2004

Roman Kennke <roman at ontographics.com> writes:

> Hello list,
>
> I have a question regarding the branches/tags of the ports tree for
> stable releases. Are they in any way maintained. For instance I would
> like to see security fixes and corrections like changed download URLs be
> committed there.

I, as a port maintainer, am not too fond of maintaining a separate
branch (actually, three, one for 4.10, one for 5.3, one for all three of
4-STABLE, 5-STABLE and 6-CURRENT) of the ports tree for "stable"
machines.

You might offer a pool of fast machines running your favorite release
version to porters and committers so someone might be able to test his
ports on a second machine...

> I would _not_ like to see major updates be committed
> there, so that this can be seen as a stable release for the ports
> tree.

Then see if you like OpenBSD more, it appears as though the ports tree
was subject to the release cycle there, but don't quote me on that.

--
Matthias Andree