alternative options for ports

Ulrich Spoerlein q at uni.de
Sun Oct 17 12:34:34 PDT 2004

On Sat, 16.10.2004 at 13:10:31 -0500, Will Andrews wrote:
> Indeed.  Please end this silly discussion.  Packages should be
> taken into account wherever possible, and slave ports satisfy the
> need pretty well.  They may not work for everything, however.  :(
>
> Unfortunately, adding code for FLAVORS and friend is extremely
> nontrivial.  I looked into that a few times, and we would need to
> more or less rewrite the whole functionality... and doing so in
> make-ese is difficult, to say the least.

Could you please elaborate some more? Which are the key difficulties you
see?

I can think of the following problems:
- sysinstall
- Mixing port upgrades from packages and source (Where does one specify
the flavour? How can a "port upgrade" know which "package flavour" it
should upgrade?)

Ulrich Spoerlein
--
PGP Key ID: F0DB9F44				Encrypted mail welcome!
PGP Fingerprint: F1CE D062 0CA9 ADE3 349B  2FE8 980A C6B5 F0DB 9F44