alternative options for ports

Frank J. Laszlo laszlof at vonostingroup.com
Wed Oct 13 15:32:47 PDT 2004

>> Since we go to a *lot* of work building packages and making them
>> available there must be a huge number of consumers of them.  We
>> should be
>> making more port variations.  vim-gtk, vim-kde, vim-athena, vim-motif
>> for
>> instance.  That way a pkg_add user and get what they want.
>>

> I assume that this is currently done by hand? To say build the vim
> port with options --with-gtk, --with-kde and --with_arena?
> Or is there a way to set this in a Makefile? Not only altering the
> package name from vim to vim-xxx, but to define configurations for
> automatic package building?

using vim as an example, currently the port recognises env variables
like most other ports do. e.g. WITH_GTK2, WITH_ATHENA etc.. these
generally make changes to the CONFIGURE_ARGS.  Regarding package
building, there is an option (with the vim port) for PACKAGE_BUILDING
which builds with the most common options. I'm not exactly sure what
kind of answer you were looking for, but just my little input on the
subject :)

Regards,
    Frank