Packages on cdrom

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Mon Oct 4 14:33:53 PDT 2004

On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 01:12:25PM +0100, Edd wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I apologize if this is the wrong list to post on.
>
> I love freebsd and use it day in and out for my desktop computing needs,
> however I no longer have access to the internet, and freebsd does not
> ship with all the apps i use(mplayer,gimp,xmms etc.). Is there a
> possibility of getting these apps on the cd or even making a "package
> cd" ? I am aware that there is teh powerpack, but have you seen the
> price tag?!

The mplayer package may not be redistributed for license reasons.
There's no space for more packages on the iso image produced by
freebsd.org anyway.  For third party vendors who sell CD sets, they
produce their own CDs so what they choose to include is up to them,
and you'd have to talk to the vendor directly.  For example, I think
that the bsdmall CD sets include OpenOffice packages as one of the
'value added' features they use to encourage people to buy their
version.

kris