ports/72014: Eclipse doesn't work (SigBus 10) if it has been built with GTK

Oleg Sharoiko os at rsu.ru
Thu Nov 25 12:20:44 PST 2004

Hello!

I'm sorry for flooding three lists at a time, but I have some
information concerning ports/72014 and it looks like I've reached that
point where I can't do further investigation. So I hope someone who has
more knowledge, experience and free time will handle this further.

I made some investigation of this bug and it looks like it is cased by
gtk built with CPUTYPE=p4. Eclipse works fine after changing CPUTYPE to
i686 and rebuilding/reinstalling gtk. This is true for my P4 box and
this was also confirmed by two other testers who faced similar problem.
Eclipse also works fine with CPUTYPE=athlon-xp (my amd based box at
work).

So I think this is gcc bug which leads to wrong code in gtk, and I
suppose it can lead to other bugs with gtk. I've seen SIGBUSes in
_gtk_tree_view_queue_draw_node and gtk_tree_view_get_column with -O0/-O
and -O2 respectively. I'm not sure what should be done further. I
thought of following:

- building debug version of gtk, looking what arguments are passed to
those functions and trying to create a test case to submit bug report to
gcc team;

- trying to build gtk with more recent gcc;

- downgrade CPUTYPE from p4 to i686 in x11-toolkits/gtk20 until this
problem is solved.

Unfortunately I don't have any gtk development experience and I don't
know what should be the best solution for this problem. I'm posting
results of my investigation in hope that someone will handle this bug
further.

p.s. And I think this is not freebsd-java bug, so responsible in PR
database should be changed to someone else.

p.p.s. I'm not on the lists, so keep me on To: or Cc: lines if you want
to reply me.

p.p.p.s This mail is probably in a mess a little bit. Sorry, I couldn't
put it into right words.

--
Oleg Sharoiko.
Software and Network Engineer