fetchindex questions.

Simon L. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Thu Nov 25 07:50:41 PST 2004

On 2004.11.24 07:26:39 -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 11:08:55AM +0100, Simon L. Nielsen wrote:

> > > What other choices are there?
> >
> > Actually the uncompressed INDEX file is distributed to all FreeBSD web
> > mirrors.  It will of course not be as up-to-date as the one on
> > www.FreeBSD.org, but since it should still not be more than 24 hours
> > old, it probably won't be a problem for most people.
>
> OK, we'd originally talked about only having it on www.freebsd.org.

Well, it has actually been there for the last 5 years from a quick
look at cvsweb - it just hasn't been up-to-date before /ports/ started
to use "your" updated INDEX file.

For some reason INDEX (not INDEX-5) is being installed in the /ports/
directory on the web server, which is then mirrored.  I noticed this
not too long ago in the log for my local cvsup mirror.

Since INDEX does not change much most of the time it has probably not
been a problem, even though INDEX is now much larger than 5 years ago.
I don't know if we should use the INDEX file on the web mirrors, but
unless we explicitly remove INDEX it is a possibility.

--
Simon L. Nielsen