HEADSUP: INDEX[-5] files were removed from CVS.

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Sun Nov 14 17:55:38 PST 2004

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004, Benjamin Lutz wrote:

> Thinking about it, keeping the INDEX up to date should be trivial. INDEX
> only gets updated when a port is changed, and only those lines affected
> by that port can be changed in the INDEX.

Yes ... which is about 30-40 times a day.  Some ports affect one line.
Some ports affect several hundred (e.g. 'gettext').

> Aren't we running into the same problem though with the
> vuxml port? About every time I browse freshports, I see at least one
> vuxml update.

At least an order of mangitude smaller.

> A question, however: are there mirrors available, in case the server is
> not reachable? (Besides, it didn't seem very fast earlier - just tested
> now, it's much faster.)

$ make -n fetchindex
cd /home/pcvs/ports && fetch -am http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/INDEX &&
chmod a+r INDEX

www.FreeBSD.org is up most of the time :-)

> May I ask then that such threads are made at least world-readable?

Well, there should have been some period of time of HEADSUP.

There was really no attempt to keep this a secret; it was just an
oversight (the issue has been worked for so long that probably most
of the developers couldn't remember that it had been on developers-
only lists.)  i.e. we "assumed" that we had made it well known --
I, for one, should have made sure, and I just didn't.

mcl