HEADSUP: INDEX[-5] files were removed from CVS.

Michael Nottebrock michaelnottebrock at gmx.net
Sat Nov 13 18:44:12 GMT 2004

Alexandr Kovalenko wrote:

> Hello, Kirill Ponomarew!
>
> On Sat, Nov 13, 2004 at 11:19:25AM +0100, you wrote:
>

>>Since CVS version of INDEX was always out-dated, portmgr decided to
>>remove it from CVS tree.  You will still be able to build your own
>>INDEX or use 'fetchindex' target in /usr/ports/.
>

> 1. please, back it out - non up-to-date INDEX never been a problem

Yes, it has been a problem, since it breaks search functions and practically
all other applications of INDEX.

> 2. it takes forever to portupgrade to recreate INDEX[-5] after cvsup
> removed it. I do not have a lot of free time.

It's unfortunate that the INDEXFILE defaults haven't been changed with the
removal (it's also unfortunate that portsdb -U breaks if INDEXFILE is
overriden in make.conf, but that's a portupgrade bug). It might take a while
until the necessary additional changes have been reviewed - perhaps using
sysutils/portsnap to update your portstree will do as a workaround for the
time being (you get matching indices for each ports update).

    ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org