rc.subr extensions

Alexander at Leidinger.net Alexander at Leidinger.net
Wed Nov 10 11:06:52 GMT 2004

Zitat von Volker Stolz <stolz at i2.informatik.rwth-aachen.de>:

> In gmane.os.freebsd.devel.ports, you wrote:
> > - define RC_FILES, which contain a list of all the files to be
> >   stored in /usr/local/etc/rc.d. This file may contain macros like
> >   %%LOCALBASE%% and %%RC_SUBR%%.
>
> Excellent! While we discussed this at the ports BOF at EuroBSDCon, it
> was suggested to have a knob for deciding whether to run
> "${RC_SCRIPT} restart" on updating a port -- it has to be configurable
> since the administrator might want fine-grained control. Any chance of
> adding this as sugar on top?

Do we really want to do that? Personally I agree with "stop" before the
deinstall (in some cases...), but not with a "restart". I may want to
make changes of the configuration in between, or I need to make changes
because the application has an incompatible change in the configuration
between versions. Ideally the administrator knows best what to do at an
update, so he should explicitly start, stop or restart a service.

Bye,
Alexander.