rc.subr extensions

Edwin Groothuis edwin at mavetju.org
Tue Nov 9 04:08:40 GMT 2004

Hi,

In ports/73691[1], I have submitted a patch for bsd.port.mk to make
it easier for porters to use the rc.subr framework.

The suggested changes are:

- define RC_FILES, which contain a list of all the files to be
  stored in /usr/local/etc/rc.d. This file may contain macros like
  %%LOCALBASE%% and %%RC_SUBR%%.

- define RC_SUBST, which contain a list of all variables to be
  replaced. For example LOCALBASE with ${LOCALBASE}.

- add three new targets:
    - patch-rc, which patches the original RC_FILES to one with the
      macros translated.
    - install-rc, which installs the RC_FILES to /usr/local/etc/rc.d.
    - add-plist-rc, which adds the RC_FILES to the pkg-plist.

This way it will be easier for porters to incorperate the rc.d files
into the Makefile/bsd.port.mk framework.

I'm sure I have missed a couple of things, so if you have played
with rc.subr and missed some features, tell me about it and lets
see how we can add them.

Edwin

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports%2F73691

--