Removing http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/ and replacing with FreshPorts

Sam Nilsson sam at servingpeace.com
Mon Nov 8 09:43:38 GMT 2004

Simon L. Nielsen wrote:
> Second I don't really think /ports/ (the web site) is that that
> critical.  If it was, more people would have complained that for a
> very long time the ports web pages were very out-of-date.

Maybe not experienced users, but I think that many newbies wouldn't know
that the pages were out of date.

I personally find the freebsd ports page to be much more straightforward
and userfriendly especially at first. Once one is accustomed to ports
and freshports.org, they may not use /ports/ anymore, but as a newbie,
it is really nice to have.

Of course, as I said, I didn't know about the pages being out of date.
Has that problem been addressed or is that the real issue here and I'm
just totally missing the point (in which case sorry)?

- Sam Nilsson