Removing http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/ and replacing with FreshPorts

Simon L. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Sun Nov 7 19:10:54 GMT 2004

Hello

On the FreeBSD website we have the ports pages at
http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/ which are inferior in most ways to
FreshPorts [1], so I would propose that we retire the FreeBSD ports
web pages and just direct people at FreshPorts instead.  Does anybody
have any strong objections to this?

If this is going to be done I plan to put dummy redirect web pages on
http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/ to replace the current category pages
there so there shouldn't be problems with deads links there.

The FreeBSD documentation uses http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/url.cgi for
port references, so that would not be directly affected but would be
changed to redirect to the appropriate port at the FreshPorts sites.

BTW. I have asked Dan Langille and he's OK with the idea.

[1] http://www.freshports.org/

--
Simon L. Nielsen
FreeBSD Documentation Team