no cvs port?

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sun Nov 7 15:32:34 GMT 2004

On Sun, Nov 07, 2004 at 01:14:07PM +0100, Oliver Lehmann wrote:
> Matthew Seaman wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Nov 07, 2004 at 11:59:00AM +0100, Oliver Lehmann wrote:
> >
> > > I would like to make world my system without cvs, and install it from
> > > ports instead. But... am I right that there is no cvs port?
> >
> > That's because cvs is part of the base system.  No need to install any
> > extra software.
> >

> That is your point, but not generally mine. I may have some environments
> where I want to handle cvs and other tools outside the world. That is one
> of the points why there are openssl, openssh*, bind, gdb, and so forth
> ports.

Apologies.  I misread your original post.

However, ultimately the result is the same.  The presence of CVS in
the base system means that there is very little demand for a separate
CVS port.  I'm afraid that if you want one, you're going to have to
write your own -- or use one of the CVS-alikes from ports, like
devel/cvs+ipv6.  As for removing the base system version of cvs: there
isn't a 'NO_CVS' flag, so you'ld just have to go round and delete the
binaries etc. after doing an update.  On the whole though, why make
work for yourself?  The latest stable version of CVS is included in
all systems more recent than 4.10-STABLE of 2004-06-29.

Sure there are several packages where alternate versions are available
from the ports.  Which are generally there either to provide alternate
configuration options to the system default, API/ABI incompatible or
unstable version upgrades or to support older versions of the system,
and which are not necessary for the vast majority of users if they're
running a fully patched supported system version.  Indeed, such ports
are often installed in haste when a security flap happens, and then
repented at leisure when they lead to incompatabilities and snafus
with other software (particularly when an 'OVERWRITE_BASE' option is
used).

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way