Building gcc 3.4.2 with Ada language on FreeBSD

David Ross dross at code-exec.net
Sat Nov 6 22:08:55 GMT 2004

Tommy Zhu wrote:

>There is just gnat 3.15 ada compiler in ports currently. So it need to
>build it DIY  for one who want GNAT 3.4.2 on FreeBSD. The reason of that
>is GNAT 3.4.2 has "a lot of nice new features". :)
>http://www.ada.krischik.com/gnat-3_4_2.html
>
>So, Firstly, to download GCC with ada packages, to install gnat3.15 from
>ports.   <b>USING ADAGCC</b> as the host compiler, Adagcc is including
>in gnat3.15p, and then just following the INSTALL/build.html to build
>your GNAT 3.4.2 on FreeBSD. and then you can use the new ada compiler on
>Freebsd to recompiler your second version ada compiler if you like. :-)
>
>Because the configure script of gcc3.4.2 can't detect any ada compiler
>(gnat3.15) on BSD, that's why it need to use adagcc as the host compile.
>I think the best way is to change the configure script.
>
>cheers.

I've been using GNAT 3.4.1 for some time. Its great, there are mor
libraries and possibly even more stable. Been using it for about 6
months. Its nice. I know about the build script junk. I didn't bother
looking what was happening, so I just built 3.3.3, then 3.4.1 to get it
working somehow. Its great though, someone should make a port. Ada
wasn't forced on me, and I feel sorry for those who it were(because now
they probably hate it). Ada is a great language to use for any purpose.

David Ross
--
Hazzle free packages for Ruby?