Multiple copies of the same port

Frank Laszlo laszlof at vonostingroup.com
Sat Nov 6 18:34:25 GMT 2004

Aaron Dalton wrote:

> I am currently maintaining the port devel/p5-Heap-Simple which
> currently requires perl5.6.  The author has released a
> new-and-improved version that now requires perl5.8.  As not everybody
> runs 5.8 (I currently do not) I would like to keep the 5.6 version
> available.  I am new to port maintanance and am unsure how to proceed:
>

> 2) Should I submit the perl5.8 version under a different name?  If so,
> what is the convention?

This is probably the best option. the convention would be
${PORTNAME}-devel. Though I havent seen this done with perl module's
before, But I dont see why you couldnt do it. Alternately, you could
make it respect WITH_PERL58 within the Makefile for the port. But that
will probably cause more problems then it's worth. or even check the
currently installed version of perl. If just base perl is installed, it
will automatically use the newer version of the port with perl 5.8, if
perl 5.6 is installed, it will use that. and so on..
Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Frank Laszlo