Multiple copies of the same port

Aaron Dalton aaron at daltons.ca
Sat Nov 6 18:25:46 GMT 2004

I am currently maintaining the port devel/p5-Heap-Simple which currently
requires perl5.6.  The author has released a new-and-improved version
that now requires perl5.8.  As not everybody runs 5.8 (I currently do
not) I would like to keep the 5.6 version available.  I am new to port
maintanance and am unsure how to proceed:

1) Should I just ignore the 5.8 version and leave the port at perl5.6?

2) Should I submit the perl5.8 version under a different name?  If so,
what is the convention?

3) Or should I simply clobber the 5.6 version with the new perl5.8 one?

Cheers!
Aaron