portindex -- the second coming.

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Tue Nov 2 05:24:16 PST 2004

On Tue, Nov 02, 2004 at 12:42:17PM +0100, Angelo Turetta wrote:
> Matthew Seaman wrote:
> >Slightly later than planned (real life getting in the way I'm afraid),
> >here's the third (and I hope final) beta version:
> >
> >    http://www.infracaninophile.co.uk/portindex/portindex-0.3.tar.bz2
> >
> >This incorporates various bug fixes and feedback from earlier versions.
>
> May I suggest trying to read as many settings as possible from
> /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf?
>
> I'm thinking mainly about MAKE_ARGS (that most often change the
> dependency lists of specific ports) and the various system paths:
>
> (quoting from pkgtools.conf)
>   #   ENV['PORTSDIR'] ||= '/usr/ports'
>   #   ENV['PORTS_INDEX'] ||= ENV['PORTSDIR'] + '/INDEX'
>   #   ENV['PORTS_DBDIR'] ||= ENV['PORTSDIR']
>
> The latter can (and should) also be set as make.conf or environment
> variables, but anyway the tool should take the issue into account one
> way or the other.
>
> The reason for this request is to simplify the maintenance of a single
> ports repository NFS-mounted from various architecures/OS versions.

Interesting idea.  I can't promise to implement anything like that
very soon, but I'll certainly keep it in mind.  Although it might be
easier to re-implement what I've done in Ruby and amalgamate it into
the portupgrade(1) suite.  As all the Ruby I know is from reading
(some of) the on-line 'Programming Ruby' book at www.ruby-lang.org I'm
probably not the best person to do that.

Making things like 'PORTSDIR' configurable is very high on the to-do
list: at the moment, the assumption is that the ports live in
/usr/ports.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way