xfce4 port expat/p5-XML-Parser problem

John Murphy sub00 at freeode.co.uk
Wed May 26 17:48:03 PDT 2004

Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock at gmx.net> wrote:

>However, if you actually meant xfterm4, that belongs to sysutils/xfce4-utils,

/Blush  I did indeed.  I should be more careful.

>so you should try reinstalling that (x11-wm/xfce4 is a so-called metaport
>which exists mainly to facilitate installing a collection of other ports -
>deinstalling and reinstalling it will not change/update any of the ports
>which actually provide the programs/data).

Tried de and re installing sysutils/xfce4-utils but it didn't help.

>However, sometimes you may find that even after recompiling, a binary still
>references a shared library which doesn't exist anymore. This can happen if a
>different shared library this binary links to is itself linked to the
>nonexistent lib. You can find out to what libraries a binary is linked by
>doing ldd /path/to/binary. You can then again find out with ldd which of
>those libraries link to what other libraries, eventually finding the one
>which references the obsolete library, which you can then find the respective
>port for with pkg_info -W and recompile (of course you can also ldd and grep
>your way through /usr/local/lib and /usr/X11R6/lib).

That's really informative, thank you.  Turns out xfterm4 is a script so ldd
complained.  The errors referred to ld-elf.so.1 but ldd that shedded no light.

I hate to admit (after your good advice) to symlinking libexpat.so.4 to
libexpat.so.5 again, just to see if it would work, and it did.  I expect
something will fail at some stage though.

--
John.