Third "RFC" on on pkg-data ideas for ports

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Mon May 24 12:46:21 PDT 2004

At 7:38 PM +0200 5/24/04, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>On Mon, 24 May 2004 00:07:34 -0400
>Garance A Drosihn <drosih at rpi.edu> wrote:
>
>>       b) create a new directory at the root directory of
>>          the ports collection.  That directory would be
>>          called "Patches", and inside would be a directory
>>          for each category.  Inside each Patches/category
>>          directory would be a single-file for each port
>>          in that category, where that single-file would
>>          have all the "ports-collection patches" for the
>>          matching port.
>
>ATM you can checkout one (new/updated) port from cvs into
>any non-"ports/" directory and it will work just fine
>(depending on the dependencies of the port). I don't see
>how this is possible with [the above] approach.

Hmm.  Well, that is a good point.  My intent is that would
work, but at the moment I don't have any specific idea of
how I'd want to implement that.  As an end-user of ports,
what I'd really like to do is 'cvsup refuse' the ENTIRE
Patches tree, and then just download the patches for the
ports that I'm actually building.  However, I was assuming
that the end-user would still be working in a copy of the
entire ports-collection, so I was just going to download
into ports/Packages.  Maybe that isn't the right idea.

I was also thinking that the ports collection could possibly
take the tactic of downloading "ports-related" patches the
same way it presently downloads tar-files of the original
source.  That would have nothing much to do with the pkg-data
ideas, but it would be another way to reduce the size of
"tracking the ports collection", as the number of ports in
the collection continues to grow.  I mean, we are now over
10,000 ports, and I imagine that VERY few users actually
care about all 10,000 of those ports.

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu