Third "RFC" on on pkg-data ideas for ports

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Mon May 24 08:51:24 PDT 2004

At 8:33 PM +0700 5/24/04, Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:
>On Mon, May 24, 2004, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>  >     c) [minor] in the pkg-data section for distinfo, I'd
>>         like to change the format for each file from, eg:
>>      MD5 (bash-2.05b.tar.gz) = 5238251b4926d778dfe162f6ce729733
>>      SIZE (bash-2.05b.tar.gz) = 1956216
>  >     5238251b4926d778dfe162f6ce729733 1956216 bash-2.05b.tar.gz
>
>Hmm, this is gonna be hard for possible usage of non-MD5 hashing
>schemes.  See NetBSD pkgsrc collection for examples.

Actually, I do expect to support other hashing schemes, but that
is part of "future work", not "the initial project".  There is
more than one way to support them.  If we use SHA-1 instead of
MD5 for a port, for instance, then that first string will be
longer.  Or we could use a different section-name, which has
different info and is formatted differently.

Please note that the main idea here is to hide all those data-details
in the program which processes these pkg-data files, and thus the
main makefile rules would just say something like
     "verify bash-2.05b.tar.gz",
and the program will decide what that means based on what the
program finds in the pkg-data file.

>  > So it collapses most standard files into the pkg-data file, and
>>  collapses the patch-related files for a given port into files
>>  such as: ports/Patches/shells/patches-bash2.  This will not
>				^^^^^^^^
>Do you really need this ``patches-'' prefix here?  This way you
>spell out ``[Pp]atches'' twice in a path.

Yeah, that does seem a little dumb, now that you mention it.

>Thanks for doing this.  Keep up a good work.

Well, I'm just trying to see what ideas I can come up with.

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu