portupgrade and daemons.

Josef Karthauser joe at FreeBSD.org
Sun May 23 06:41:43 PDT 2004

On Sun, May 23, 2004 at 03:21:20PM +0200, Kay Lehmann wrote:
> Lars Thegler wrote:
> >
> >net/smokeping stops a running daemon in its pkg-deinstall script. It
> >doesn't restart it after upgrade, though. Not sure whether that is a
> >good idea anyway.
> >
> >/Lars
> >

> I would think so, too. We shouldn't do such things automatically, since
> there may be important changes in configs, etc. This should be done by
> the admin himself. FreeBSD does not need to treat its users as dummies
> and try to do everything automatically and in the background.

That's true - it doesn't need to.  This issue came up for me because I
forgot to switch a daemon off before upgrading it.  A helpful "are you
aware that this daemon is still running" message would have been useful,
but as you say I ought to have remembered that myself.

Joe
--
Josef Karthauser (joe at tao.org.uk)	       http://www.josef-k.net/
FreeBSD (cvs meister, admin and hacker)     http://www.uk.FreeBSD.org/