Wanted: Move fetch shell scripts out of bsd.port.mk

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Tue May 18 21:23:17 PDT 2004

A large chunk of bsd.port.mk is taken up by various scripts that
implement the fetching of distfiles and patchfiles.  There are
several permutations and available options (e.g. various kinds of
sorting of MASTER_SITES), with yet more options waiting in PRs in
GNATS, and all of it gets in the way of each other and of users trying
to read bsd.port.mk.

What I'd like to see is for the processing of distfile lists to be
extracted out into external shell scripts, which users could select to
choose a different sorting behaviour.  For example, one way would be
for bsd.port.mk to feed the value of MASTER_SITES to the script, which
returns with its sorted version of the same list for bsd.port.mk to
fetch from.  I don't know if there's a need for the fetching itself to
be done externally (you can already specify your own external program
to do the fetching), as this code will probably be common to every
script.

This will simplify bsd.port.mk, simplify the fetching logic (don't
have one massive target trying to implement all the alternative
sorting behaviours) and simplify the shell scripts themselves (as they
don't have to have most of their metacharacters escaped).

Any takers?

Kris