"portsdb -Uu" failed

Ion-Mihai Tetcu itetcu at apropo.ro
Mon May 17 12:05:31 PDT 2004

On Mon, 17 May 2004 21:58:54 +0300
Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu at apropo.ro> wrote:

> On Mon, 17 May 2004 08:54:12 -0700
> "Joseph Kim" <kks at stanford.edu> wrote:
>
> > To whom it may concern:
> >
> > I'm reporting the error messages from 'portsdb -Uu'.
> > This problem started lastnight and there were no such problems before.
> >
> > Here are the said error messages:
> > =====================================================================================
> > % sudo portsdb -Uu
> > Updating the ports index ... Generating INDEX.tmp - please wait..===> www/opera-devel failed:
> > make: don't know how to make describe. Stop
> > *** Error code 1
> > 1 error
>
> www/opera-devel was removed a few days ago, as there isn't currently a
> development version of Opera. Probably in that directory you only have a
> README.html file which does not exist on cvsup but only on install CDROM
> and of course make has no Makefile to get its instructions from. So
> delete the hole dir and you will be OK.

The following ugly script should find and delete all dirs containing
only a README.html for you.

#!/bin/sh

PORTS_CATEG_DIRS=`find /usr/ports/ -type d -maxdepth 1`

for CURR_DIR in ${PORTS_CATEG_DIRS}
do
        echo ${CURR_DIR}
        CURR_PORTS_DIR=`find ${CURR_DIR} -type d -maxdepth 1`
        for CURR_PORT in ${CURR_PORTS_DIR}
        do
                if [ -f ${CURR_PORT}/README.html ]
                then
                        FILES_NO=`ls -1 ${CURR_PORT} | wc -l | sed '/ /s///g'`
                        if [ "${FILES_NO}" -eq "1" ]
                        then
                                rm -R ${CURR_PORT}
                                echo -e "\t rm'ed ${CURR_PORT}"