Up-to-date INDEXes may now be downloaded from www.freebsd.org

Ion-Mihai Tetcu itetcu at apropo.ro
Mon May 17 02:19:08 PDT 2004

On Mon, 17 May 2004 01:28:22 -0700
Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> wrote:

> On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 10:58:19AM +0300, Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:
> > On Mon, 17 May 2004 10:33:05 +0300
> > Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu at apropo.ro> wrote:

> > > Hurray !
> > > This will save about 40 minutes on my building machine.
> >
> > Oh, and besides using  "Last-Modified:" HTTP header is there any way to
> > find out if one need to fetch it or not ?
>
> I don't really understand what you mean by "needing to fetch" the

I see no reason to download the index if it hasn't being changed since
I've did it last time (e.g. make index failed on bento).

> If you require an up-to-date INDEX (e.g. you're currently using
> portsdb -uU) then you now have the option to download it instead of
> building it yourself,

Yes, that's what I was thinking to do. I have a machine that cvsups any
second hour and fech the ports, builds index and build some packages for
the rest of our machines.

> although you won't get an index that is customized for your installed ports.

What is the difference ? I thought the INDEX(-5) is based on ports/*
content and it is the same irrespective on what you have installed. So
actually my index building takes in consideration 1) my custom options
and 2) my installed ports and options and process the .if (exists
/bla/blu) from Makefiles. Never thought of 2), but it is logic :( Lucky
the machines are pretty much the same.

--
IOnut
Unregistered ;) FreeBSD "user"