understanding latest audio/faad update

Kay Lehmann kay_lehmann at web.de
Sun May 16 17:00:41 PDT 2004

Pav Lucistnik wrote:
> V so, 15. 05. 2004 v 08:48, Kay Lehmann píše:
>

>>Hello,
>>
>>I need some explanation about latest faad-update regarding it's new
>>introduced default dependency on multimedia/mpeg4ip. As far as I see
>>there mpeg4ip has a conflict defined on faad:
>>--- multimedia/mpeg4ip/Makefile
>>
>>CONFLICTS=      faad*
>>
>>---
>>
>>So now I am asking myself, if it is wise to define mpeg4ip as default
>>dependency in faad, while faad is defined as a conflict in mpeg4ip. Is
>>this just something temporary? If it is not wouldn't it be much more
>>consistent to make internal mpeg4ip the default for faad? Am I missing
>>something?
>

> Yay, yes, that line should have gone away with latest faad update.
> It's gone now.

Ah, I thought already I have misunderstood something. As far as I can
see, the note about faad in UPDATING should be extended since the
movement from internal to external mpeg4ip will cause some problems,
when people use portupgrade to do this:
mpeg4ip will be installed as dependency for faad and overwrites some
files from the old faad-port. When portupgrade deinstall faad for
updating it will erase these files accordingly and they will be missing
after the upgrade (quite similar to the problems with kde-update we had
in the past because of some files, which had been moved from kdenetworks
to base or was it the other way? don't remember).
I think this scenario won't happen, because mpeg4ip will fail during
compilation (it seems to be using the headers from old faad port, if it
is installed), but telling portupgrade-users about this would be much
cleaner, than just to note to deinstall faad if upgrading it fails.

Thanks and greetings,
Kay