Ports with duplicate LATEST_LINKS

Oliver Eikemeier eikemeier at fillmore-labs.com
Sat May 15 17:00:03 PDT 2004

Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Sat, May 15, 2004 at 02:52:49PM +0200, Oliver Eikemeier wrote:
>
>>Kris Kennaway wrote:
>>
>>>Dear port maintainers,
>>>
>>>The following list includes ports maintained by you that have duplicate
>>>LATEST_LINK values.  They should either be modified to use a unique
>>>LATEST_LINK or suppressed using NO_LATEST_LINK, to avoid overwriting
>>>each other in the packages/Latest directory.  If your ports conflict with
>>>ports maintained by another person, please coordinate your efforts with
>>>them.
>>
>>Kris, please don't suggest using NO_LATEST_LINK. Just recommend to set
>>LATEST_LINK to a unique value, so that pkg_add -r ${LATEST_LINK} works.
>>Most port committers don't use packages, so this feature is not widely
>>understood.
>
> OTOH, pkg_add -r ${SOMEBIZARRENAMETHATNOONEWILLEVERGUESS} is unproductive :)

Most often, ${PKGNAMEPREFIX}${.CURDIR:T} is a reasonable default (except for
the perl ports, where the directory name already contains p5-), which is easily
guessable. This won't help with security/hydra and www/hydra, but now I have
to look up the version number on the web site and do

  pkg_add ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/alpha/packages-5-current/www/hydra-0.1.4_1.tbz
or
  pkg_add ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4-stable/www/hydra-0.1.4_1.tbz

instead of simply doing

  pkg_add -r www_hydra

no matter what the version number of hydra is nor which os version on which platform
I'm running. Besides, they'll get a unique UNIQUENAME for free. We could display the
latest link names on the web listing, and it's better to have to look them up once
than figuring out all the details every time.

-Oliver