FreeBSD Port: bacula-1.32f5 updating destroys prior bacula conf files

Brian Reichert reichert at numachi.com
Sat May 15 11:04:11 PDT 2004

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 09:15:13PM -0400, Michael Edenfield wrote:
> * Ben Bangert <ben at knowledgetap.com> [040513 20:28]:
> > Ummmmm
> >
> > I ran portupgrade the other day on bacula. Christ was that a mistake. I
> > had the absurd idea that as portupgrade has always done with every port
> > thus upgraded, it would save a copy of the conf files for the port.
> > Prolly to .old or something.
>
> If upgrading the port removed your config files, then the port is most
> likely to blame, not portupgrade.  The only backups (AFAIK) that
> portupgrade keeps are old shared libraries, and if requested, a backup
> of the old packages.

Somewhat applicable:

<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/dads-config.html>

But, having been bitten by the qmail port in the saem way (ports/58701),
it's obvious that nothing enforces this policy.

I haven't pawed though the portupgrade toolset to see if there's a
feasable shim that could be introduced, to at the very least warn
the installer that their config files may have been overwritten
(mtime?)  Dunno; it annoys me, too...

--
Brian Reichert				<reichert at numachi.com>
37 Crystal Ave. #303			Daytime number: (603) 434-6842