FreeBSD Port: bacula-1.32f5 updating destroys prior bacula conf files

Ben Bangert ben at knowledgetap.com
Thu May 13 17:27:52 PDT 2004

Ummmmm

I ran portupgrade the other day on bacula. Christ was that a mistake. I
had the absurd idea that as portupgrade has always done with every port
thus upgraded, it would save a copy of the conf files for the port.
Prolly to .old or something.

Hah! No, instead it completely obliterated my configuration files.
Who's bright idea was that? Lucky I had all my conf files backed up...
to a bacula volume... so now I need to reconfigure bacula enough to
gain access to the volume to restore my config files.

The most braindead part of the whole thing, is that there was
absolutely no reason to completely destroy the old bacula config files,
since the port didn't install any .conf files, only .sample files.

At least I haven't lost anything other than my faith in FreeBSD
ports....

-Ben

PS: Someone might consider making a note of this rather drastic action
bacula does in the /usr/ports/UPDATING file.