FreeBSD Port: gstreamer-plugins-0.8.1

Randy Pratt rpratt1950 at earthlink.net
Wed May 12 15:36:44 PDT 2004

On Wed, 12 May 2004 14:31:44 -0700
Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> wrote:

> On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 05:27:23PM -0400, Randy Pratt wrote:
> > On Wed, 12 May 2004 12:23:51 -0700
> > Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> wrote:

> > > No, there's only one *branch* for ports.  See the handbook.
> >
> > That wasn't the question I was asking.  I know there is only one
> > tag.  You cut too much text from my email and lost the question.
>
> You know wrong, because there are dozens of tags (at least one per
> release).
>
> tags != branches.

Ah.. the light comes on!  Thanks.. that was where I was missing the
boat.

> > The question was:  How does one adopt ports tree sources?
>
> By first updating to the tag corresponding to the ports collection you
> installed (i.e. this should produce no diffs and therefore orphan no
> files).

Assuming someone installed the 4.8-RELEASE ports tree from their
CDROM, then the ports-supfile would need to contain:

  *default tag=RELENG_4_8_0_RELEASE list=cvs:.

for the first cvsup to adopt that ports tree and then change the
ports-supfile to:

  *default release=cvs tag=.

for the second cvsup to update to the latest ports tree.

I'll have to dig out the old 486 that has some release installed on
it and give it a try.  Cvsup must do an excellent job of keeping
track of sources even though the adoption isn't done since I rarely
see the adoption mentioned in the lists.

Thanks for the clarification!

Randy