Make index || portsdb -uU fails after cvsup

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Sun May 9 16:43:54 PDT 2004

At 9:02 PM -0700 5/8/04, Michael C. Shultz wrote:
>On Saturday 08 May 2004 07:36 pm, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>>  Hmm.  Well, I am baffled here.
>>
>>  This week I tried to do a `make index' for the first time in
>>  awhile, and it failed for me on both a 4.x and 5.x system.  I
>>  do not understand why no one else seems to be seeing this.  The
>>  error I see is:
>>
>>  (10) make index
>>  Generating INDEX - please wait..make: don't know how to make
>>  _accessibility.describe. Stop
>>  *** Error code 2
>>  make: don't know how to make _arabic.describe. Stop
>>  *** Error code 2
>>  2 errors
>>
>The accessibility dir is fairly new, and the arabic also near
>the beginning,   hmmm, are you  sure all you are not missing
>any port directories?

They are not just "near the beginning", they are the first two
categories.  I am getting two error messages because INDEX_JOBS
defaults to '2'.  If I bump that up:

(28)  INDEX_JOBS=4 make index
Generating INDEX-5 - please wait..
DEBUG: Making _accessibility.describe in /usr/obj/usr/ports
make: don't know how to make _accessibility.describe. Stop

DEBUG: Making _arabic.describe in /usr/obj/usr/ports
*** Error code 2

DEBUG: Making _archivers.describe in /usr/obj/usr/ports

DEBUG: Making _astro.describe in /usr/obj/usr/ports
make: don't know how to make _arabic.describe. Stop
*** Error code 2
make: don't know how to make _archivers.describe. Stop
make: don't know how to make _astro.describe. Stop
*** Error code 2
*** Error code 2
4 errors

Those DEBUG: lines are generated by a line I added to
bsd.port.subdir.mk:

.if defined(BUILDING_INDEX)
describe: ${SUBDIR:S/^/describe./}

.for i in ${SUBDIR}
describe.$i:
         @printf "\nDEBUG: Making ${i:S/^/_/:S/$/.describe/} in `pwd`\n"
         @${MAKE} -B ${i:S/^/_/:S/$/.describe/} >
${INDEX_TMPDIR}/${INDEXFILE}.de
sc.${i}
.endfor
.else

The thing about all this is that it makes perfectly good sense to
me that the distributed version of bsd.port.subdir.mk will generate
the errors that I am seeing.  I have an update which fixes that, and
if I apply that update then `make index' works perfectly fine.  What
I don't understand is why I am the only person who sees this -- and
that of course makes me suspect that I *must* have the wrong idea
about something here.

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu