cvs commit: ports/x11 Makefile ports/x11/panoramixext Makefile distinfo pkg-descr pkg-plist

Eric Anholt anholt at FreeBSD.org
Fri May 7 22:16:30 PDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-07 at 22:00, Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:
> On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 01:10:49PM -0700, Eric Anholt wrote:
>
> >   New port: panoramixext 1.1 freedesktop.org:
> >   X PanoramiX extension headers
> >
> >   Testing is encouraged, but please do not use these ports as dependencies until
> >   a plan is made for handling the transition from XFree86.
>
> What do you mean by "transition from XFree86" here, precisely?  Is there
> intention to prefer FDo's bits over XFree86, or just provide a coherent
> way to choose between the two?  If former, what's wrong with XFree86 so
> such transition is a concern?  I assume that it's not related to recent
> license policy change in XFree86 camp, am I right?

No, it's not the license change.  It's that active development of
libraries is going on at fd.o/X.Org, not XFree86, these days.  We can
only really have a single source for libraries because of packaging, so
fd.o/x.org is the way to go I believe.

As far as the server, we should be able to provide XFree86-4-Server and
the X.Org server side-by-side just fine.

(I wasn't around for the big fighting over the license, but I have to
say I'm surprised FreeBSD is okay with the licensing terms on the server
these days.  Anyway, I'm not worried about it myself since I don't plan
on touching the XFree86 server any more).

Eric Anholt                                eta at lclark.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/         anholt at FreeBSD.org