Sign your name in pkg-descr is useless or useful?

Robin Schoonover end at endif.cjb.net
Thu Mar 25 17:13:27 PST 2004

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 17:07:35 +0000 (UTC), Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> Sergey Matveychuk <sem at ciam.ru> wrote:
>
> > > MAINTAINER=     Foo Bar <fbar at some.place>
> >
> > What is the reason why it's not so for us?
>
> When I committed a port with such a MAINTAINER line (or maybe Trevor
> did it for me), Satoshi pointed out that this was breaking his bento
> scripts.  That was obviously quite some time ago and I think the
> bento scripts should be fixed to handle this.

Or really, everything that might use it needs to be fixed.  For example,
Bill Fenner's portsurvey is probably using it to email the announcements.
When sorting by maintainer I'd probably continue to sort by just the
email (trim off the actual name), since formatting and spellings of email
addresses tend to vary less.

For backwards compatiblity we might want to have `make maintainer`
continue to give just the email, and have `make full-maintainer` give the
name + email.

--
Robin Schoonover (aka End)
# Warning found on a can of Freon: