Sign your name in pkg-descr is useless or useful?

Christian Weisgerber naddy at mips.inka.de
Thu Mar 25 06:00:00 PST 2004

Jeremy Messenger <mezz7 at cox.net> wrote:

> I think, it's useless because most of us don't do it. Also, we already
> have the Whom: and MAINTAINER in the Makefile. It seems to me that sign
> our name in it is making no sense for pkg-descr as in description file.

I dislike it.  I don't see any use for it and it feels like exaggerated
self-promotion.  Frequently the description is copied verbatim from
a README or man page; signing your name below makes it look like
you are the author.  Ugh.

I also keep running into ports where MAINTAINER and pkg-descr are
out of sync.

If people want to provide a human name in addition to the bare
e-mail address in MAINTAINER, then I suggest we expand the MAINTAINER
format to include a real name, just like OpenBSD did:

MAINTAINER=     Foo Bar <fbar at some.place>

Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          naddy at mips.inka.de