Library major version changes

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Wed Mar 24 06:02:06 PST 2004

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 01:47:42PM +0000, Jim Hatfield wrote:
> Which leaves me with (potentially) installed applications
> which depend on libexpat.so.4, which no longer exists.
>
> I'm afraid to do *anything* to this machine now, in case
> stopping, say, the apache server means it won't start again.

If you use portupgrade(1) and you don't use the '-u' flag, then a copy
of any shlib owned by a port will be preserved in
/usr/local/lib/compat/pkg/.  That directory is added to the standard
ldconfig path by the 000.pkgtools.sh startup script which comes with
portupgrade.  All in all, that means that programs depending on
outmoded shared libraries should still work and restart correctly.

Eventually you should update all software that depends on the updated
shlib, but that can be quite hard to do.  The sysutils/libchk port
will help you do that, as will following instructions to run
'portupgrade -rf' and, something which seems to be happening more
frequently now, maintainers bumping the PORTREVISION number on their
ports if the port links against a shlib that has been updated.

Together all those measures should smooth over most of the problems
you might run into.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way