ports infrastructure changes for standards/57295

Oliver Eikemeier eikemeier at fillmore-labs.com
Mon Mar 22 06:13:57 PST 2004

Harti Brandt wrote:

[...]
> The third problem lies in the bsd.ports.mk. Version 1.315 added a speedup
> by passing certain variables to sub-makes via command line assignments
> (look for __softMAKEFLAGS). This wont work with the patched make, because
> these variables are not-overrideable by submakes and this breaks any build
> of dependent ports. I think this problem causes most breakage. I was able
> to circumvent the problem by specifying NOPRECIOUSMAKEVARS=yes to make,
> but don't know whether this is the correct thing to do. And, to be honest,
> I don't fully understand what this __softMAKEFLAGS thing does. So could
> please someone help me with this?

I am working on a revised OPTION handling patch, which touches more than
half the cases where __softMAKEFLAGS is used (son-of-PR 64233, but you
don't need to read the patch in there, I'm doing something different).

I guess I should be able to come up with something that is compatible with
the old and the new make, so perhaps we could discuss this off-list.

Oliver