port security/hostsentry currently marked for deprecation

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Sat Mar 20 06:13:31 PST 2004

What the initial post (quickly replaced) should have said instead of:

> > deprecated because: (error in parsing Makefile)

was:

> > deprecated because: is missing runtime dependencies; see ports/62516

In other words, it will build and run only on systems that already
have all the necessary prerequisites installed.  But FreeBSD ports
are supposed to do that work themselves, so that they may be
installed on an entirely clean system and will work properly.

The canonical way of testing this is to set up a port jail to
watch the failure.  Or, you can take a look at the error logs
on http://bento.FreeBSD.org or the summary engine at
http://portsmon.firepipe.net which will refer you back to them.

If you find the port useful, we'd be happy to have you update
it (via a followup to the PR) to save it from its fate.

(portsmon, by the way, would also tell you that we have 2836
ports without maintainers, so we obviously could use all the
help we can get.

mcl