pdftk compiling problems on FreeBSD

Oliver Eikemeier eikemeier at fillmore-labs.com
Wed Mar 17 10:24:30 PST 2004

Sid Steward wrote:

> Patrick-
>
> Thank you for your work. I'll add your FreeBSD Makefile and notes to the
> next release of pdftk.
>
> Thanks for the suggestions, too.  I'll work them in.
>
> Sid
>
> Patrick Dung wrote:

>>FreeBSD 4.9 uses gcc 2.95.4 as system compiler.
>>So I install the gcc33 inorder to use the gcj.
>># pkgadd -r gcc33
>># cd /usr/local/bin/gcj33
>># ln -s gcj33 gcj
>># ln -s gcjh33 gcjh
>>
>>Changes to Makefile.Base :
>>Change g++ to g++33
>>
>>Create Makefile.FreeBSD :
>># general-purpose options
>>CC_OPTS= -lgcj -O2 -I/usr/local/include -L/usr/local/lib -pthread
>
> -liconv -lz
>
>># Not related, only g++ is used?
>>CC = gcc33
>># Does not work as expected (I have to change g++ to g++33 in
>
> Makefile.Base)
>
>>CXX = g++33
>>#
>>include Makefile.Base
>>
>>If -pthread is not added, it will have problem when compiling with the
>
> gcc3.3.x compiler.
>
>>Do the 'gmake -f Makefile.FreeBSD' and it compiles cleanly.
>>And the program works fine.

For a port you would use

  USE_GCC=3.3

which will install gcc and set CC=gcc33 CXX=g++33 automatically. Also

  USE_GMAKE

tells the port to use gmake for building. If you you Makefile has a
non-standard name, use MAKEFILE=Makefile.FreeBSD (actually a bug, it
should be MAKE_FILE). -pthread should be PTHREAD_CFLAGS and PTHREAD_LIBS.

Some more variables can be found in /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk.

Regards
    Oliver