Problems compiling Apache2 under 5.2.1-P1

Alex Dupre ale at FreeBSD.org
Sat Mar 13 00:53:43 PST 2004

Ade Lovett wrote:

> We most certainly do NOT have "a bunch of broken ports" as a result of
> this.  If there are specific examples, then let me know, with FULL logs.

I did'n try every port, but since IMHO this change is not a noop I think
there are broken ports. Apache2 is an example (I just tried). If you
change WANT_* with USE_ in bsd.php.mk all the php extensions will be
broken (just tested). I asked you to explain why this would be a noop,
but I didn't see the response (maybe I missed it). IMHO this change is
not equivalent because:

- WANT_* means I want autotools
- USE_* means I want to *use* autotools (and implies WANT_*)

The run-autotools stage in fact is driven by the USE_* knobs.
WANT_* is used by ports that run autotools in a particular way (called
by other programs or called with particular parameters) and cannot run
the usual run-autotools stage. With this change they are called twice.
If you say that in your system they are equivalent, probably you have a
non-standard system.

--
Alex Dupre