xmms: Digital Audio Extraction not working

Mark Ovens mark at ukug.uk.freebsd.org
Thu Mar 11 11:47:57 PST 2004

Please excuse the X-posting but I'm not sure which is the better list
for this problem.

I've got 3 SCSI optical drives mounted in an external case so I can't
use an analogue audion cable but need to use DAE for playing CDs. The
drives support DAE as they all work in xmcd, but in xmms-1.2.10 I get a
stream of this error:

Message: read_audio_data() failed:  Inappropriate ioctl for device (25)

Searching the mail archives I found this patch for libxine which, after
looking at the xmms source, appeared as though it might work; it didn't
(same error):

#ifndef CDIOCREADAUDIO
struct ioc_read_audio
{
         u_char address_format;
         union msf_lba address;
         int nframes;
         u_char* buffer;
};

#define CDIOCREADAUDIO _IOWR('c',31,struct ioc_read_audio)
#endif

Although that same code is in the xmcd source.

I also tried the patch from PR ports/57198; that didn't work either
(same error). 57198 was closed because "Digital audio extraction using
ATAng is supported in xmms 1.2.9" implemented in PR ports/62127. Either
that only works for ATA drives or it got broken again in 1.2.10.

What I suspect is that xmms is not correctly identifying the capabilitie
of my drives.

Can anyone help me out, either with a patch they have that works or
point me in the right direction to try and fix it myself. xmcd is OK but
I prefer xmmx as it plays audio files as well and, havin 3 drives, I can
choose the drive in a running xmms whereas xmcd needs the drive
pecifying at start-up.

TIA

Regards,

Mark