smartmontools startup script problem

Evren Yurtesen yurtesen at ispro.net.tr
Thu Mar 11 01:18:58 PST 2004

Here is the problem, I cant enable auto offline data collection every 4
hours.

proxy:/usr/local/etc#smartctl -c /dev/ad0
smartctl version 5.30 Copyright (C) 2002-4 Bruce Allen
Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

The SMART RETURN STATUS return value (smartmontools -H option/Directive)
  can not be retrieved with this version of ATAng, please do not rely on
this value
=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
General SMART Values:
Offline data collection status:  (0x00) Offline data collection activity was
                                         never started.
                                         Auto Offline Data Collection:
Disabled.
Self-test execution status:      (   0) The previous self-test routine
completed
                                         without error or no self-test
has ever
                                         been run.
Total time to complete Offline
data collection:                 ( 900) seconds.
Offline data collection
capabilities:                    (0x1b) SMART execute Offline immediate.
                                         Auto Offline data collection
on/off support.
                                         Suspend Offline collection upon new
                                         command.
                                         Offline surface scan supported.
                                         Self-test supported.
                                         No Conveyance Self-test supported.
                                         No Selective Self-test supported.
SMART capabilities:            (0x0003) Saves SMART data before entering
                                         power-saving mode.
                                         Supports SMART auto save timer.
Error logging capability:        (0x01) Error logging supported.
                                         No General Purpose Logging support.
Short self-test routine
recommended polling time:        (   1) minutes.
Extended self-test routine
recommended polling time:        (  15) minutes.

proxy:/usr/local/etc#smartctl -o on /dev/ad0
smartctl version 5.30 Copyright (C) 2002-4 Bruce Allen
Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

=== START OF ENABLE/DISABLE COMMANDS SECTION ===
The SMART RETURN STATUS return value (smartmontools -H option/Directive)
  can not be retrieved with this version of ATAng, please do not rely on
this value
SMART Automatic Offline Testing Enabled every four hours.