[Fwd: libXext Problems when upgrading ports]

Michael Dunham michaeldunham at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 9 08:56:05 PST 2004

Michael Nottebrock wrote:

>On Tuesday 09 March 2004 03:39, Michael Dunham wrote:
>

>>to check which one is more likely or if there is another - rebuild all X86
>>related ports I have installed or rebuild the kernel.
>>

>Usually just rebuilding/reinstalling XFree86-4-libraries is enough. FWIW,
>reports of that sort come in from time to time at kde at freebsd.org and
>sometimes libXext is bogusly linked, sometimes a different library from
>XFree86-4-libraries which it links to is missing. My suspicion is that there
>is a port somewhere that clobbers XFree86-4-libraries, but I couldn't find
>one...

Thanks Michael - Yes, I believe your are right, there is something out
there that depending on how you do it can clobber the libraries because
that matches the kind of thing I am seeing here. What that port is
exactly though is beyond me - too many inter-related ports in the system
to tell unless you noticed by chance after an upgrade or were deeply
into XFree86 (beyond me).  So, if I am understanding what you are Keith
are indicating, I should be able to delete the libXext port I installed
by mistake and do a forced rebuild/reinstall of the XFree86 libraries.

Thanks to everyone

Mike