[Fwd: libXext Problems when upgrading ports]

Michael Dunham michaeldunham at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 8 18:45:37 PST 2004

I'm encountering several ports that are failing upgrades to a "missing
libXext" ..

The latest is Digikam

failure listing below:
checking for IceConnectionNumber in -lICE... yes
checking for libXext... no
configure: error: We need a working libXext to proceed. Since
configure
can't find it itself, we stop here assuming that make wouldn't
 find
them either.
===>  Script "configure" failed unexpectedly.
Please report the problem to avleeuwen at piwebs.com [maintainer]
 and attach the
"/home/ports/graphics/digikam/work/digikam-0.6/config.log" inc
luding the
output of the failure of your make command. Also, it might be
a good idea to
provide an overview of all packages installed on your system
(                 e.g. an `ls
/var/db/pkg`).
*** Error code 1

Stop in /home/ports/graphics/digikam.
** Command failed [exit code 1]: /usr/bin/script -qa /tmp/port
upgrade4551.0 make
** Fix the problem and try again.
** The following packages were not installed or upgraded (*:sk
ipped / !:failed)
        ! graphics/digikam (digikam-0.5.1_1)    (configure err
or)

#

>From reading similar errors I can find - it appears this is related to X86. I
did to an upgrade to X86 not too long ago.  I do have libXext:

# ls -l /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext*
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  73314 Mar  3 14:39 /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.a
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel    865 Mar  3 14:39 /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.la
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel     12 Mar  3 14:39 /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so -> li
bXext.so.6
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  64666 Mar  3 14:39 /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6
#

>From what I read there are two possibilities to fix this and I don't know how
to check which one is more likely or if there is another - rebuild all X86
related ports I have installed or rebuild the kernel. It has been a while
since I have rebuilt the kernel (5.1 Current about six months ago) but I did
do the recent X86 upgrade.

Does anyone have an idea what I should check from here to decide on a good
course?

Thanks
--
Regards,