php4-4.3.4_6 w/ mhash + apache-modssl broken for 5.2-current

Scott Lambert lambert at lambertfam.org
Sun Mar 7 16:51:23 PST 2004

> It appears that lang/php4 with mhash is broken for 5.2-current (built
> yesterday) with www/apache13-modssl. i have not tested www/apache13 to
> see if the same error occurs.
>
> The easiest way i've found to replicate this is using:
> /usr/ports/lang/php4$ PHP4_OPTIONS=MHASH make deinstall install clean
>
> When you try to start apache, the program crashes with (from
> /var/log/mesages):
> pid 40197 (httpd), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)

I don't think the MHASH option has anything to do with this problem.

I've been having problems with php since I upgraded last night and
I don't use the MHASH option.  I have a feeling that if I could get
libpthread out of the mix it would run.

pkgtools.conf:
       'lang/php4' => 'BATCH=YES -DWITH_BZIP2 -DWITH_CTYPE -DWITH_DOMXML -DWITH_
GD -DWITH_GETTEXT -DWITH_ICONV -DWITH_IMAP -DWITH_MCAL -DWITH_MCRYPT -DWITH_MIME
 -DWITH_MYSQL -DWITH_OPENLDAP -DWITH_OPENSSL -DWITH_PCRE -DWITH_POSIX -DWITH_PSP
ELL -DWITH_SESSION -DWITH_SOCKETS -DWITH_SYSVSEM -DWITH_SYSVSHM -DWITH_TOKENIZER
 -DWITH_XML -DWITH_ZLIB',

I think it has to do with the threading:
# ldd /usr/local/libexec/apache/libphp4.so
        libpthread.so.1 => /usr/lib/libpthread.so.1 (0x28ad2000)

On other machines (FreeBSD 4.x, I only have one 5.x machine using PHP),
there is not even a hint of libc_r.so.

I have tried a few stabs in the dark to attempt to disable the PTHREAD
stuff in lang/php4's Makefile but libphp4.so is always linked with
libpthread.

# uname -a
FreeBSD www.lambertfam.org 5.2-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT #6: Sun Mar  7 00:36:12 EST 2004     root at www.lambertfam.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/EQUIUMATHLON  i386

# apachectl configtest
Processing config directory: /usr/local/etc/horde
 Processing config file: /usr/local/etc/horde/httpd.conf.horde
 Processing config file: /usr/local/etc/horde/httpd.conf.imp
 Processing config file: /usr/local/etc/horde/httpd.conf.turba
Syntax OK
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

truss shows that it doesn't dump core until after it forks to enter
daemon mode.  The truss output didn't mean anything to me.

Truss output is here:
 http://www.lambertfam.org/~lambert/apache/

lambert at lambertfam.org