make describe problems - kde

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Sun Mar 7 16:42:09 PST 2004

On Sunday 07 March 2004 02:28 am, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> Running 'make index' is not supported unless you have the full ports
> collection.  There are just too many interdependencies to make it
> practical to support building consistent indices with subsets of the
> ports collection.

Coincidentally, I did a little research on this the other day, for
similar reasons.

My conclusion is that we have very few 'leaf categories' -- even
fewer than even I suspected.  They are the following:

  all languages (*except* japanese)
  astro
  benchmarks
  biology
  finance
  mbone
  picobsd
  x11-themes

The ones I was surprised to find were *not*:

  cad (audio, french)
  dns (mail)
  irc (x11)
  japanese (comms, editors, mail, sysutils, www)
  news (mail)
  palm (mail)
  science (french, graphics)
  shells (many, via bash2 and zsh)
  x11-clocks (x11, x11-wm)

In any case:

If the need for an entire hierarchy to do 'make index' is not sufficiently
explicit in the handbook(s), it ought to be made so.  If anyone forwards
me pointers to documentation that says 'it's ok to just load part of the
ports hierarchy', I'll be glad to write up PRs for them.  (I'll probably
never get around to it unless someone provides them :-) )

mcl